Artichoke Recipe in Honor of Annual Castroville Artichoke Festival
The 52nd Castroville Artichoke Festival is this weekend! The famous festival will take place in Monterey, California on May 21 from 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. and on May 22 from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
A tradition for more than half a century, the Castroville Artichoke Festival will feature colorful parades, live music, farmer’s markets, field tours, wine tasting and cooking demos. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for kids. If you can’t make it to the Festival but want in on the artichoke action, try out this recipe at home!
Recipe: Perfect Steamed Artichokes
- 4 globe artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Break off artichoke stems to remove tough fibers. Cut off the stem ends. Trim the pointed leaf tops off of the artichokes with scissors. Rub the cut parts with lemon half.
- Fill a large pot with 2 inches of water, and add a bay leaf and garlic clove. Squeeze juice from the lemon halves into the water, and place a steamer basket in the pot. Set artichokes top down in the steamer basket, cover, and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, cover and steam the artichokes for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a bottom leaf from each base pulls away easily.
- Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with a dipping sauce, if desired.