Pigs in a Blanket
Pigs in a Blanket, Franks in Jackets, Devils on Horsebacks, Biscuit Dogs – regardless of what you know them as, these crescent roll-covered sausages sure do hold their own among the grilled cheese sandwiches, potato salads and pot pies of the world.
When we landed on an All-American theme for the SacFoodies potluck, I thought I’d try my hand at making this classic finger food because, well…I had never had a pig in a blanket before (so very un-American of me)! For fear of botching up such a classic dish, I did my research and landed on the below recipe from Pillsbury for what they’ve deemed “Crescent Dogs.” This recipe puts a bit of a twist on the original pig in a blanket recipe by adding in a gooey surprise: melted cheese rolled up in each “blanket!”
Recipe: Pigs in a Blanket/ “Crescent Rolls”
- 8 hot dogs (you can also use mini sausage links)
- 4 slices American cheese, each cut into 6 strips
- 1 can Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slit hot dogs to within 1/2 inch of the ends and insert 3 strips of cheese into each slit (SacFoodies note: using mini sausage links, I found it easier to simply place a couple pieces of cheese on top of the sausage links).
- Separate dough into triangle and wrap around each hot dog.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, cheese side up.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.