Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie
When challenged to come up with an All-American entrée for our recent Sac Foodies potluck, I must admit I was stumped. I thumbed through all my recipes two times over and finally stumbled upon a Chicken Pot Pie recipe I never made before. While I hesitated to make a dish I’d never made before for a large group, I figured if it wasn’t good, I wouldn’t be blogging about it – so, the good news is they liked it!
I can’t even give proper credit where it is due since the edges of this recipe were so poorly torn from the page of a magazine – remember, I had to dig deep for this one. Anyway, I definitely give it high praise for perfectly meeting my quick and easy criteria: less than 10 ingredients and preparation in less than 45 minutes start to finish.
For busy moms like me, leftovers are a saving grace some nights, especially in the early part of a busy week. This recipe makes a great night-two meal with left-over grilled or baked chicken, and the beauty of it is you can experiment with added vegetables of any combination you prefer. So, get creative and enjoy!
Recipe: Quick and Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 package (12 oz) frozen mixed veggies – carrots, green beans and peas, or other combination
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 chicken breasts, baked or pan fried, then cubed. Or, if you’re in a hurry, buy 2 packages of the pre-cooked diced chicken breast (6 oz each)
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup OR cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package crescent roll dough
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray 11×7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix frozen veggies and onion in baking dish and cover, then microwave for 4 minutes on high or until just tender.
- In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients (except dough) until thoroughly mixed.
- Add chicken mixture to vegetable mixture and stir gently, then microwave covered for 2 minutes on High.
- Stir, then microwave 2 more minutes until steaming hot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove dough from package and unroll into 2 long rectangles. Pinch perforations together to seal. Place over chicken mixture in baking dish and press against edges to form a rim.
- Bake 17 to 20 minutes until dough is golden brown and mixture underneath is bubbly.
- Serves 6.