Watermelon Pico de Gallo
I’ve finally found the perfect combination of sweet and spicy and the ingredients have been right under my nose this whole time. In fact, I decided to try this new recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, Ree Drummond of The Pioneer Woman.
As you know, the theme of our 6th Annual SacFoodies Potluck was Farm-to-Fork, so I needed a delicious recipe with locally available and in-season ingredients. Lo and behold, I came across Ree’s easy recipe and gorgeous photos and my mind was made up—Watermelon Pico de Gallo for everyone! Not only was this one of the prettiest side dishes, it was one of the easiest. I was able to buy the peppers, onion and watermelon from the Thursday Farmers Market on Capitol Mall and the other ingredients I already happened to have at home!
Try The Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Watermelon Pico de Gallo:
Yield 12 Servings
- 1/2 whole small seedless Watermelon, diced
- 1/2 whole Red Onion, diced
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 whole Green Bell Pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 whole Jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- 1 whole bunch Cilantro, chopped
- Juice Of 1 To 2 Limes
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
1. Throw all the ingredients into a large bowl and toss it together. Taste with a chip and adjust ingredients as needed.
2. Serve with chips or on top of grilled chicken or fish…or as a side salad!