When the SacFoodies team was offered the opportunity to try all seven flavors of Wonka™ Ice Cream, we had to hold back from shouting a collective, “Daddy, I want it nooooow!” à la Veruca Salt.
As the weather hit the mid-80s on a Friday, we were delighted to receive a cold, frozen box filled with pint after pint of seven deliciously innovative flavors (although, sadly, nothing snozberry-inspired).
We gathered round and tested each one. Here’s what we thought and who liked what best:
• Kerfuffle Truffle (creamtastic chocolate ice cream with rich chocolate truffles and swirls of fudge) – Talk about a chocolate overload! We loved the richness and decadence of this one.
• Chipperberry Swirl (luscious black raspberry and vanilla ice cream with liquid chocolate chips) – If you love fruit mixed with chocolate, this is right up your alley. Noticing that this one resembled the flavors of a raspberry truffle, one SacFoodie exclaimed, “It’s berry-tastic!” (This one was favored by the majority – Jon, Brooke, Vanessa and Dan)
• Chocolate Mintropolis (a most mintrific combination of chocolate mint ice cream with peppermint patties and chocolate mint cookies) – Reminiscent of a Girl Scout cookie, this one boasted some surprise as we experienced bites with varying textures—chewy peppermint patties and puffy mint cookies. (Jenna’s favorite)
• Caramel Nut Kadoozle (rich, caramel ice cream with mixed nut brittle and wondrous walnut caramel swirl) – You’d be nuts not to like this one! Each bite overwhelmed our mouths with nutty flavors, and we absolutely loved the crunch this one had. (Kris was this one’s biggest fan)
• Chocolate Chipper Chip (silky smooth vanilla ice cream with chocolate and potato chip bark pieces) – Wait, potato chips in ice cream?! It’s a junk food lover’s dream! We were really digging the innovation of this one and especially enjoyed the sweetness of the ice cream followed by the salty crunch of the potato chips. (This one got votes from Jake, Shelly and Tracy)
• Chocolate Snowflakes (not-so-plain vanilla ice cream with melt-in-your-mouth chocolate flakes) – If you’re not into some of the other wilder flavors, this one was an all-around classic rendition of yummy, rich vanilla ice cream with perfectly sized chocolate chunks.
• Kernelpuff Caramelstuff (mouthwatering caramel corn ice cream with crispy kernels, pecan pralines and salted caramel swirls) – Picture the unique smells and tastes you experience when you’re eating treats at the fair, and this one wraps those up in a pint-sized parcel. It features crunchy, pop-in-your-mouth popcorn amid creamy, caramel deliciousness. (Kim was all about this one)
We savored every last bite, making it nearly impossible to heed the advice of Augustus Gloop’s mother and “save some room for later!”
Wonka™ Ice Cream is available now in select grocery stores throughout Northern California and Reno, Nev., including Safeway, Raley’s, SaveMart, Lucky, Walmart, Target, CVS, Nugget Market, 7-Eleven, Chevron, Lunardi’s, Gene’s Fine Foods, Draeger’s and Key Marketsand. It retails for $4.99 a pint. For more details, visit www.wonkaicecream.com.
The Wonka™ Ice Cream was provided to the SacFoodies, and the opinions expressed are our own.