Roasted Vegetable Breakfast Strata
Breakfasts in bed are a great addition to any weekend. This roasted vegetable breakfast strata so easy to make and is tasty, too! Strata can be assembled the night before and baked in the morning for a delicious, easy breakfast. If you are feeling daring, try different kinds of mushrooms or substitute the spinach for another leafy green, like kale. You can also switch up the spices with red pepper flakes and seasoning salt for a bolder flavor. Old, stale bread is the best for this recipe because it soaks up the egg and holds everything together really well. This dish is great for clearing out your vegetable bin and enjoying the best that summer farmer’s markets have to offer. Happy eating!
1 large red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ medium yellow onion, diced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups zucchini, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups spinach, chopped
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper, the better)
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
1 ½ cups milk
1 day-old baguette, sliced into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoons thyme
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. Stir to coat veggie mix in EVOO. Place vegetables on a 1-inch deep cookie sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- While vegetables are in the oven, add eggs, milk, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl and whisk until combined, about 45 seconds.
- Place bread in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch deep casserole dish.
- Remove vegetables from oven and return to mixing bowl. Stir in chopped spinach to wilt. Cover bread with vegetable mixture.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and veggies.
- Top with tomato slices and cheddar cheese. Reduce oven temperature to 375° and bake for 30 minutes.