Tired of visiting the same ol’ donut shop or bakery? Feeling in the mood for something new? Mahoroba Japanese Bakery in South Sacramento may give you just what you’re looking for!
Mahoroba Japanese Bakery lives in a tiny corner off Freeport Boulevard and offers visitors a sweet assortment of Japanese and American pastries. My first trip to the shop was a delight and I returned for the first time in a year to relive my experiences with these wonderful treats. I carefully selected some of their offerings – including the anpan, kobe cream delight, shoku pan, anpanman choco, and kobe green tea delight – to present my opinion of Mahoroba’s breads and encourage everyone to try something different and delicious!
Pro-Tip: Order online to reserve your favorites or make your trip first thing in the morning because these pastries sell out fast!
Here is a CliffNotes review of each treat I tried from Mahoroba:
- By far my favorite pastry from the bakery
- Features a light and fluffy bread topped with black sesame seeds and a generous amount of subtly sweetened red bean paste
- Perfect for those with less of a sweet tooth or who like more wholesome pastry filling
- Highly recommend serving anpan with red bean taiyaki
- One of Mahoroba’s most popular pastries
- Features an adorably painted face of chocolate
- Pastry stuffed with dark chocolate paste
- Bread is much puffier than average and makes the anpanman choco much more fun to eat and look at – after all, it has the cutest chubby cheeks
- Perfect for pickier eaters or chocoholics!
- Very similar to your classic white bread
- Thick cut of shoku pan makes this bread even more delectable than what you can buy in a store
- Offers a buttery crust
- Softer and a touch sweeter than your store-bought white breads
Kobe Green Tea Delight
- Great for green tea lovers
- Paste is thick, airy, lightly sweetened, and spreads out with every bite
- Crescent-shaped, smoothened dough makes for a satisfying eating experience
Kobe Cream Delight
- Filled to the brim with custard
- A variant on the kobe green tea delight with the same crescent-shaped dough
- Indulgent and delicious flavor with a filling that’s perfect for custard lovers or sweet tooths in general
Sweet Cream Cheese
- Presents very nicely with an almond topping
- As promised, this pastry is filled with cream cheese
- Cream cheese filling is sweet, subtly salty, and offers a nutty flavor
- Features the softest, chewiest bread out of every pastry listed in this review
- Also good for picky eaters
This bakery offers something delightful for the whole family, whether you enjoy traditional Japanese breads or something more conventional. I highly recommend this shop and we hope you’ll enjoy anything you try from Mahoroba and share your thoughts in the comments!
Shoku Pan: Sho-Koo Pawn
Anpanman Choco: On-Pawn-Mahn Cho-ko