Chocolate Mocha Icebox Cake
You can’t get more All-American than chocolate chip cookies but I knew better than to bring something so basic to a potluck party full of foodies, so I made Ina Garten’s delicious chocolate mocha ice box cake that brings a whole new meaning to chocolate chip cookies. This cake is super easy to make at home and best of all, you don’t even need to bake it!
Recipe: Chocolate Mocha Icebox Cake
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Pernigotti
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 (8-ounce) packages chocolate chip cookies, such as Tate’s Bake Shop
- Shaved semisweet chocolate, for garnish
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream, mascarpone, sugar, coffee liqueur, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and vanilla.
- Mix on low speed to combine and then slowly raise the speed, until it forms firm peaks.
- To assemble the cake, arrange chocolate chip cookies flat in an 8-inch springform pan, covering the bottom as much as possible. (I break some cookies to fill in the spaces.)
- Spread a fifth of the mocha whipped cream evenly over the cookies.
- Place another layer of cookies on top, lying flat and touching, followed by another fifth of the cream.
- Continue layering cookies and cream until there are 5 layers of each, ending with a layer of cream.
- Smooth the top, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Run a small sharp knife around the outside of the cake and remove the sides of the pan. Sprinkle the top with the chocolate, cut into wedges, and serve cold.
Store-bought chocolate chip cookies work just fine, too!
Recipe by Ina Garten