10 Things You Didn’t Know About…
by Sara Ortega
- I have 20 aunts and uncles. My parents each have 10 siblings. Perhaps that’s why they only had my brother and me!
- My grandmother started a few restaurants in Vacaville and Fairfield that are still open today. Even as a mom of 11, my amazing grandmother still fulfilled her dream of becoming an entrepreneur, and in a foreign country, at that! If you’re in the area, stop by Gordito’s in Fairfield or Azteca in Vacaville.
- My best friend and I hiked to Machu Picchu. During the summer of 2015, we headed out for an amazing adventure! In Peru, we hiked nearly 30 miles with other hikers from California, Ireland and Australia. After four days and three nights on the Salkantay trek, we reached Machu Picchu! It was the hardest, most rewarding experience I’ve ever had.
- I am currently taking Spanish classes. While my mom and extended family are fluent in Spanish, English is my first language. I can understand a lot of Spanish, but I’m a definitely a little rusty. I’ve recently begun watching Spanish novelas to help me learn. I’m currently following El Hotel de los Secretos—you cannot beat the drama!
- I love to paint in my free time. I mainly use watercolor, but I recently began experimenting with acrylic paints. Painting is great hobby and de-stresser for me. Unfortunately, I’m quickly running out of wall space in my apartment!
- Dog obsessed. If you lose me out in public, just look or listen for any nearby dogs. I’ll probably be sitting on the ground hanging with the pooches.
- Chocolate addict. When I first moved to midtown, I think there was one time where I visited Ginger Elizabeth three times in one week. I’ve since weaned myself down to three times a month. Progress!
- I escape in cooking. I’m all about experimenting and trying new recipes. It’s a fun easy way for me to unplug and take my mind off of work. My Saturday morning “It’s officially the weekend” ritual involves watching “The Pioneer Woman” and sipping my morning coffee in my favorite elephant-shaped mug. Bliss!
- I recently started reading for pleasure. I think I always dreaded reading because I was forced to read so much for school, but recently, I’ve found a few good reads that I just couldn’t put down. I just finished Tina Fey’s Bossypants—she’s my hero. I’m currently working on Amy Poehler’s Yes Please and Pearl Buck’s The Good Earth.
- I’ve got a love for vintage cars. My boyfriend is a major car guy and has taught me a lot about the beauty of classic cars in the past five years. Our favorite times have been aimlessly cruising around town in his VW Bug or his old Ford Model A.